The Mindful Use of Technology
Hi everyone! I hope this finds you well.
This podcast is about a topic that is so important and so interesting to me. In this episode, we speak with screen time expert, Dr Dustin Weissman about how to use technology (smart phones, tablets, internet etc) in a mindful and healthy way. We specifically discuss how to manage Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), OCD Spectrum Disorders such as Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), and Eating Disorders.
In this episode, we discussed:
- Does technology improve or harm our Self-Esteem?
- How can we create a Balanced lifestyle when using technology?
- How can Parents monitor and moderate their children’s use?
- How can Parents practice sound and mindful discipline using technology as the reward or consequence?
- How can we, as adults, monitor and manage our use of technology in this era of information?
- How can we manage the compulsive use of internet/mobile devices for those with OCD and BDD?
- How can we manage reassurance seeking behaviors related to technology use?
Special tips for those with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) and Eating Disorders.
Earlier this year, Dr Weissman published his dissertation titled, Impacts of Playing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) on Individuals’ Subjective Sense of Feeling Connected with Others.
Some links we discussed in the Podcast:
Quality Time APP: http://www.qualitytimeapp.com/faq/
MindSpace Meditation APP: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mindspace/id967886308?mt=8
About Dr. Weissman:
Dr. Dustin Weissman holds a Psychology Doctorate and works in private practice in Westlake Village, CA. He works with clients who are struggling with any form of internet addiction or problematic internet use, which include: online gaming, gambling, pornography, or smartphone addiction.
Earlier this year, he published his dissertation, Impacts of Playing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) on Individuals’ Subjective Sense of Feeling Connected with Others. A link can be found from his personal website, DustinWeissman.com. He was recently featured as an expert on screen time in an online article and has given numerous workshops.
I hope you found this episode helpful. I know I did!